Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Germany



Well we made it to Germany! We were told it was going to cost $150 dollars to take the train from Southern France to Western Germany even though we have a Eurail Pass! Of course we decided we'd figure out a cheeper way. So instead of taking just 2 high speed trains to get to Germany over a 12 hour period we decided to take 8 trains over 24 hours. It was alot more fun and interesting and we only spent $12 but we arrived fairly tired.



I (Jason) have never really been to Germany (except once in the Airport in Munich). So Coralee was excited to be the Veteran in this country since I've been showing her around France and Spain... When we finally got here we spent hours checking our e-mail, bank accounts and updating the blog.





Her family in Germany are really great. Her Uncle Charlie is a generous businessman and he's super hillarious and alot of fun to hang out with. Her aunt Marilyn is super sweet and an awesome cook. And her cousins are a lot of fun as well. They are two boys. Carey is 24 and loves Strategy Video Games like Generals!!! We've been playing it almost every night. Kevin, the younger brother is an excelent guitarist. He's teaching me Metallica songs and I'm teaching him La Bamba!



We've visited the Rhein River and a castle from 1100 in Germany. They have an amazing train that hangs above the river and it was built 100 years ago! The food is really great here too they have lots of different kinds of breads with nuts in them, many kinds of sausages and cheeses but Sauerkraut isn't as common here as everyone thinks back in the US. However, Coralee's aunt made a fresh batch for me because I love it so much. Her's was the best I ever tasted. Here in Germany one of the favorite drinks here is beer mixed it with Lemon soda. They also love my favorite drink from Venezuela, Maltz! It's a wheat based drink with sugar, it doesn't have alcohol in it and tastes like wheaties.



We've also visited Holland. They really have windmills everywhere and the people live in the old ones still. The new ones look like the big Palm Springs type wind generators. They also have canals everywhere in Holland and some cities look like I'd imagine Veince to be. Large parts of the country are under sea level so if the Dikes break everyone's going to have to move.



Coralee's cousin Carey showed me an amazing Hanging Train built above the river over 100 years ago! It looks and feels like the Monorail but it hangs and swings on the tracks everywhere it goes! Truly amazing!

We're planning on seeing Berlin tomorrow and will be spending a few nights in Munich. From there we go to Rome!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coralee! Bonehead! Shilo gave me your blog address! I want to be in Germany so bad! I"m so jealous that you guys have been traveling so much! We visited Berlin and Holland last time we were there 5 years ago. And Switzerland the first time. But here I am in the States with 2 kids and another one on the way!
Years later in your married life you're going to look back on this big trip and have so many memories! We do! I'll keep checking back! How can I send you pictures of us? email address? Mine is adwedel@bww.com
Have fun! love ya! Amy (Knapp) Wedel

Angela Shih said...

Hey guys! That's cool that you (Jason) got to meet Coralee's family in Germany. And I'm loving the pictures of all the places by the way. That's cool! :) Love ya.

Anonymous said...

From Angelique Neumann
I loved to seeing you both enjoying this time together. Its so special for both of you. I hope you guess thrive as one in Christ and learn so much more about each other. I see Jason so guy like wanting to see everything and Coralee wanting to stop and capture the awesome things you are seeing. God Bless you both. We are thinking of you and miss you guys dearly.

Anonymous said...

WOW! What an AMAZING trip you guys are taking. You guys are so incredibly BLESSED. Coralee, I hope to meet you someday. You seem like such a beautiful person. Jason, it's so awesome to see where God has brought you. I pray that He continues to bless you over and over. BIG HUGS to both of you!!
Shawna (Kemp) Medina